DPS Road Test - TEENS (AGE 16-24) (must have completed a TEEN Driver Education Course)
Green Light Driving Academy is certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety to administer the official DPS Road Test (Skills Test). Students from Green Light Driving Academy, as well as students that have completed their teen drivers education program at a different commercial driving school, public school, or through a parent taught program, are welcome to test here at our location in Grapevine. Completing the DPS Road Test (Skills Test) with GLDA, will allow students the flexibility of testing after normal business hours & on weekends. (Schedule subject to availability)
The test is administered from our Grapevine location: 280 N. Main Street, Grapevine, TX 76051 (Old Main Street Shopping Center)
Please read through the information below regarding the DPS Road Test at Green Light Driving Academy and if interested - please click on the button to the right and complete our pre-registration form. We will contact you within 72 hours of your submission to schedule the DPS Road Test.
Information provided in the sections below:
- Is my teen eligible to take the DPS Road Test?
- Document and Vehicle Requirements
- Impact Texas Teen Driver Video
- What is the Cost of the driving test at GLDA
- Does your teen need additional practice before the DPS Road Test?
- Restrictions on a Teen's Provisional Driver License (applicable until age 18)
Payment must be made at time of scheduling. No refund will be issued once the test has been scheduled & payment is received.
Is my Teen eligible to take the DPS Road Test?
All students who take the DPS Road Test (Skills Test) with GLDA or the Texas Department of Public Safety are required by law to:
- be at least 16 years old.
- held a learner's license (learner's permit) for 180 days. (this date will be shown on the back of the permit and is NOT the expiration date of the permit)
- have completed the FULL Teen Drivers Ed program which consists of 32 hours of classroom instruction,14 hours of behind the wheel training & the 30 hour parent log. (Student must have their ORIGINAL COMPLETED DE-964 or PTDE-964 completion certificate. This is a required document).
- have completed the MANDATORY 2 HOUR “Impact Texas Teen Drivers” (ITTD) class. (ORIGINAL completion certificate required). NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PART OF THE DRIVER EDUCATION COURSE.
Once the items above are completed, the student can take the DPS Road Test at GLDA or the Texas DPS. If the test is taken at GLDA, once the student has passed the test, we will provide the proper paperwork to take to a Texas Dept. of Public Safety Office to obtain their driver license.
GLDA cannot issue the actual drivers license.
Document and Vehicle Requirements
The Documents listed below are REQUIRED by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety for testing purposes. It is your responsibility to ensure that the documents listed below are provided by the student & parent when arriving for the test. If any of these documents are missing, the student cannot be allowed to take the test & must reschedule and a $35.00 rescheduling fee may apply.
- Valid and NOT Expired learner license (learner's permit)
- ORIGINAL Course Completion Certificate (Form DE-964 or PTDE-964) (will state Texas Driver Education Certificate - "For Drivers License Only")
- Parent Driving Logs and if taught using a Parent-Taught program - the Behind-the-Wheel affidavit.
- ORIGINAL completion certificate for the “Impact Texas Teen Drivers” (ITTD) video class taken. The certificate is available for printing after completing the video course on-line and cannot be printed at the Green Light Driving Academy office. Please Note: The ITTD video course cannot be taken BEFORE the student has completed their teen driving program.
- Application for Driver License (State of Texas Form): DL-43
- Proof of valid, unexpired automobile liability insurance for the car being used for test. A printed copy of the car's Texas Liability Insurance card must be brought IN with the documents for check in. We cannot accept an electronic copy of this information (i.e. on a phone or any other electronic device) and we cannot print this at the Green Light Driving Academy office.
- Car used for the test must have a current, unexpired registration sticker on the windshield and proper license plates on the car. The VIN numbers on the registration sticker, insurance information AND the car must match. It is state law that a car registered in the state of Texas MUST have a metal front and back license plate ON the exterior of the car unless there is a valid Texas Buyer's paper plate for a recently purchased vehicle. NOTE: After March 1, 2015, the inspection requirement became part of the registration process and a separate inspection sticker is no longer required. If an expired inspection sticker is still present on the windshield, the car cannot be accepted for the driving test.
NOTE: A new, unexpired, Verification of Enrollment (VOE) form must be issued by the teen student's school and taken to the DPS when getting the permit. This is NOT a requirement to take the test, however, it must be obtained before going to the DPS to have the license issued.
IMPACT TEXAS TEEN DRIVER VIDEO (ITTD)
Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) was developed by the Department of Public Safety with the goal of saving lives through awareness and education. ITTD is a 2 hour informational video that is a prerequisite to the drive skills examination being administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety or Green Light Driving Academy. The ITTD course must be viewed after you have received your DE-964, showing completion of a Teen Driver Education course.
Upon completion of the ITTD course the student will receive a Certificate of Completion that must be presented prior to administering the drive skills examination.
The ITTD video course cannot be taken BEFORE the requirements for the teen driver education program have been completed and the certificate of completion must be dated within 90 days of the administered skills examination (road test).
The "ITTD" class is available, free of charge, through the Dept. of Public Safely's website at:
NOTE: When you register for the ITTD class online, you will be asked whether or not the student took the teen driving course as part of a Parent-taught program, a Commercial School, or High School.
If the student took the course from GLDA, select "Commercial School" and type in "Green Light Driving Academy" and choose the appropriate school code (see below) for the location where you took the classroom instruction.
- C1728 - Grapevine, Boyd (Boyd High School)
- C1728A - Coppell
- C1728B - Trophy Club or Roanoke
For additional information or general questions related to the ITTD class, please visit their FAQs: ITTD FAQs
REMEMBER: The ITTD video course cannot be taken before the teen driver education course is completed.
What is the cost of the driving test at GLDA?
DPS Road Test (Skills Test) - $70
There will be a $35 Fee for:
- Retaking test after failing;
- Retaking test because car failed inspection (which includes not having proper registration and license tags on car);
- Rescheduling due to not arriving in time for test (at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled time); or
- Cancelling or rescheduling test less than 48 hours prior to scheduled test
PLEASE NOTE - THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR DPS ROAD TEST FEES.
Payment will be accepted with a Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard, Visa or Discover) or Cash Only
- All proper documentation MUST be presented at the time of check-in & the student's car MUST pass inspection. If unable to meet ONE or BOTH of these requirements, the test will have to be rescheduled. There may be a $35 rescheduling fee for these reasons.
- If it is necessary for you to reschedule the test, we MUST have at least 48 hours notice before the test date and time (excluding Sundays) or a $35 rescheduling fee may be charged.
- Payment must be received in order to confirm a date and time for the DPS Road Test . PLEASE NOTE - THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR DPS ROAD TEST FEES.
Does your teen need additional practice before the DPS Road Test?
Has your teen completed driver education using a parent taught program or driving school and needs a little more instruction? Did your teen already test with the DPS and was unsuccessful? Do you feel more practice is needed before the DPS ROAD TEST?
Green Light Driving Academy now offers several DPS ROAD TEST PREPARATION packages that include:
Test preparation and overview/review lessons AND the DPS road test.
- 1 hour pre-test prep lesson + DPS Road Test = $150
- 2 hours (1 hour overview lesson and 1 hour pre-test prep) + DPS Road Test = $220
- 3 hours (2 hours overview lessons and 1 hour pre-test prep) + DPS Road Test = $280
- any additional hours overview lessons after 3 = $55 each
When you pre-register using the form to the right, please make note that you wish to also purchase one of our packages above. NOTE: These lessons will not be given on the same day as the DPS Road Test.
Restrictions on a Teen's Provisional Driver License
The following restrictions will apply to a teen's provisional license until they reach the age of 18.
- LIMITATION TO PASSENGERS: The teen will not be allowed to drive with more than ONE passenger under 21 years of age who is not an immediate family member;
- DRIVING CURFEW: The teen will not be allowed to operate a vehicle between midnight and 5:00 a.m., unless driving is necessary for employment, school, school-related activities or it is a medical emergency; and
- USE OF MOBILE COMMUNICATION DEVICES: The teen is not allowed to drive while using a wireless communication device (cell phone). This also includes if the device is being used with Blue Tooth device or any hands free method.
Schedule a DPS Road Test - TEENS
If you are between the ages of 18 and 24 and completed your driver education through a TEEN driving program....
We are currently testing on these days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
Special Scheduling on non-testing days or times may be available on a limited basis for an additional fee. Inquire when scheduling with an office member.
We will contact you by phone or email within 72 hours of your submission.
Please do not submit your request more than once.
Please note: Students CANNOT take the ITTD video course until the student has finished their teen driving program.
PHONE: 817-410-TEST (8378)