Parent Taught Driver Education
Parents may choose to teach their teen drivers education. This can be a complicated and confusing process, especially if you dont know the "driver's education" lingo. We are here to help you through this complicated process. Please contact us if you need assistance along the way.
(Please read the program information below. Click on the road sign at the bottom of this page to register)
Green Light Driving Academy, along with our online partners Aceable.com, provides a state approved course with everything parents and teens need to complete Texas parent taught drivers education (PTDE.)
Benefits for Parents:
- Gives you the opportunity to completely control your teen's driver education
- Provides a low-cost and convenient way for your teen to take driver education
- Gives you a chance to help your teen build the necessary skills required in our hectic driving environment at your pace
- Meets the behind-the-wheel training and practice requirements
- Parent teaches 14 hours of behind-the-wheel training with the Aceable lesson plan
- Student learns in the parent's vehicle, covered by personal insurance
- Student completes 30 hours of supervised driving practice with a parent
Eligibility Requirements for Parents :
- Must be the parent, stepparent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian of the teen appointed by a court of competent jurisdiction. (A power of attorney is not legally sufficient.)
- Must have a valid TEXAS driver license for the last three years or if active military personnel or spouse, a valid driver license from state of permanent residency or last duty station for the preceding three years.
- Must never have been convicted of/received a probated sentence for a homicide, Driving Under the Influence (DUI), or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI),
- Must not have had their driving privileges suspended, revoked or forfeited for traffic related violations in the past three years.
- Must not have six or more points assigned to your driver license
- Must not be disabled due to mental illness
- The instructor (parent, stepparent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian of the teen appointed by a court of competent jurisdiction) is responsible for checking both their criminal or driver records prior to requesting the packet. DPS will verify the instructor’s record at the time of processing the student’s learner license and again at the time of processing the student's provisional driver license. If at that time, the DPS determines that the instructor does not meet the requirements, they will deny the learner license or provisional driver license along with any prior classroom instruction or behind the wheel/in the car instruction provided by the ineligible instructor.
Program Eligibilty Requirements for Students:
- The student must be 14 years of age prior to beginning the classroom portion; however they may not test for a learner license until their 15th birthday.
- No instruction is permitted prior to receipt of the Parent Taught Driver Education Packet. Any instruction prior to that time will not be accepted toward the required instruction time.
Other Important (PTDE) Requirements / Information:
- A minimum of 76 hours of actual instruction time is required to instruct this course. Instruction time consists of 32 hours of "classroom" instruction, 7 hours of behind-the-wheel observation, 7 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and 30 hours of additional driving practice (10 of those hours must be at night).
- The classroom, 32 hours of instruction, must not be completed in fewer than 16 calendar days.
- The behind-the-wheel, 44 hours or instruction, must not be completed in fewer than 44 calendar days.
A student SHALL NOT be instructed more than two hours in one (1) day: These two hours can consist of:
- Two hours of classroom instruction; or
- One hour of classroom instruction and one hour of behind-the-wheel instruction.
- Note: A student may not receive credit for more than one hour of driving per day.
- This course may or may not qualify for a discount for automobile insurance purposes due to Department of Insurance rules. You should consult with your insurance carrier concerning this matter.
- No behind the wheel instruction or practice may be permitted until the student has been issued a learner license. Driving without a valid license on a public street or highway is violation of state law. Any behind the wheel instruction prior to issuance of the learner license will not be accepted toward the required instruction or practice time.
- The instructor (parent, stepparent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian of the teen appointed by a court of competent jurisdiction) may go to any local Texas Dept. of Public Safety office to have the student apply for the license and take the required test. (Some stations require an appointment or may allow online scheduling for the skills test.)
- ALL INFORMATION AND REQUIRED FEES ($20.00) MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE A PARENT TAUGHT DRIVER EDUCATION PACKET WILL BE MAILED OR E-MAILED. IF MAILED, PLEASE ALLOW 2-3 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY.
CLICK ON ROAD SIGN TO REGISTER